Friday, May 23, 2008

Spring Centerpieces Part 1

Spring is here!

New Yorkers are still getting quite a bit of rain but according to the news this morning this long holiday weekend should be beautiful. I am heading out to my best friend Vicente Wolf’s house in Montauk and can’t wait to get there. We of course will be having some fabulous dinner parties and I wanted to share the centerpiece that I will be creating.




I love this centerpiece because it is easy to create and looks modern and elegant at the same time. I like to use plexi-glass or glass for my containers for this because it adds another visual dimension, but it is not necessary.


What you will need
o plexi-glass containers any size or shape but make sure it as least about 3 to 5 inches deep
o clump moss or moon moss
o flowers of your choice- in my opinion orchids work the best
o water

Put a small amount of water in the bottom of your container and then add your moss. At this point you can also put some water into a spray bottle and mist the top of the moss to make the green really come out.

Then take your orchids and cut them down to size make sure you leave the stem long enough to drink the water at the bottom of the container. Now just play around with where you insert your orchids to find the perfect balance

I had added a few baby sprigs of green hydrangea that we had laying around. This was a last minute addition and as you can see it really makes it pop!
I encourage you to do experiment with what you have around the house or in the garden. You will find the more you experiment the better combos you will produce.



This centerpiece should last 3-5 days and maybe even longer don’t forget to keep watering it. If you do wish to have it last this long make sure you are using hearty flowers such as orchids or roses. If you only need it for a day or two you can use more delicate flowers like sweet peas or lilies of the valley.

Hope you all have a great Memorial Day!
Related Posts with Thumbnails